Experience using MusicBlocks

Music Blocks is a programming environment for children interested in music and graphics. It expands upon Turtle Blocks by adding a collection of features relating to pitch and rhythm.

MusicBlocks link

What did you learn about music/coding from trying music blocks?

I enjoyed playing with Blocks in this project. I created a project in which I tried to recreate the song Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. I also tried to create an art which was basically a circle with some sectors.

While playing with MusicBlocks, I learned how the blocks are implemented as a way for the code to run. I also learned how the blocks work together.

What does trying MusicBlocks make you wonder about music/coding?

I liked the interface of MusicBlocks and its design to run in a browser. It supports all types of music notes and drums. It also supports exporting the project in various file types.



Working with MusicBlocks: Making music

Working with MusicBlocks: Creating art
I also liked the idea of 'programming' music: using loops, and the use of mathematics: adding, subtracting, etc. I got the idea of using blocks to code. I also got inspired by this project.

I experimented with the art and got new ideas on using loops to create beautiful art. The 'turtle graphics' also works well. It also has the ability to sync with the rhythm of the music.

Any ideas that you have for what could make Music Blocks even better?

I felt that it was somewhat difficult for a beginner to easily grasp the drag and drop interface. It should have the functionality of using keyboard shortcuts like copy-paste for faster programming. The drag and drop experience should also be upgraded and made faster. It could also be made as more of a programming language than a game. The icons are favorable to a kid rather than a programmer, so preferring icons for developers is a good idea. MusicBlocks could also have a wizard where one could type the notes of a song in plain text, like "CCGGAAG" and it could be converted to blocks for faster programming. Rest all is good.

I would like to thank the developer of MusicBlocks for making such an awesome platform for beginners. Thank you.

Comments